Saturday, August 21, 2010

Strengthened and refreshed by nature's embrace...

Sit in reverie,
and watch the changing colour of the waves
that break upon the idle seashore of the mind.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


I have found that it is in those moments of reverie, while running along a trail or paddling on the local waters or while sharing a simple lunch by the seashore, that the mind is most liberated from anxiousness and worry. It is in these times of respite that we are strengthened, renewed, and equipped to live most fully.

How therapeutic it is to seek out those gentle times, in a special place, where we feel embraced by nature. If our imaginations are open and our minds are curious, we may even discover "colours" never before seen...and experience profound refreshment of spirit.

Wishing you the bluest sky,

Duncan.


Image: A simple, cooked lunch, overlooking Swanson Channel, in Ruckle Provincial Park on Saltspring Island - a perfect follow-up to a "FiveFinger" trail run through the forest and along the rocky shores.

5 comments:

  1. I am monarch of all I survey, My right there is none to dispute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...From the centre all round to the sea,
    I am lord of the fowl and the brute."

    - by William Cowper, 1731-1800, English poet and hymnist, (from "The Solitude of Alexander Selkirk")

    Something else in common, Lee, an admiration for Thoreau and the words of his reflections. Are you keeping your VFFs busy? Always appreciate you dropping by. Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys. Hope your time off has been all things good. Looking forward to seeing you soon! Let me know when your back and I'll let you buy me coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Duncan
    I've graduated to just nothing on my feet now! Only I burned my foot on my last trip...which is slowin me down! Walden is a great book second time around. Didnt "get it" when I read it aa a teenager. Really enjoying re-reading it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're on for the java, John. thanks for dropping by. I'll call you and yeah, I owe you at LEAST a coffee. :-) D.

    Good news on the running, Lee, but heck, you gotta keep the feet out of the fire! I'm going to try to get a posting out on the huarache sandals some time soon. They're hot!

    ReplyDelete